Before we talk about the 4 things you should do for your business during Dallas Startup week and every week, let’s talk about what Dallas Startup Week actually is about and why it was created.
Dallas Startup Week is a celebration of you – the entrepreneur aka business owner! It was started by entrepreneurs, organized and put together by entrepreneurs.
So WHY is Dallas Startup Week celebrating YOU this week?
You are still at it in spite of…
- The days of doubts and second guessing your decisions
- The periods of feast or famine when it comes to clients and income
- Everyone in your family thinking you are a workaholic nut
- As an entrepreneurial minded business owner you need to always be working to develop the best next thing while continuing to focus on serving your current customers
- 5 out of 10 businesses fail within the first 5 years and you are determined your business isn’t going to be one of those
- To succeed as an entrepreneur you need moxie (and you have it)
So WHAT do you need to do during Dallas Startup Week and every week to ensure success for YOU and Your Business?
- Focus on your customers and their needs
- Always be learning (attend Dallas Startup Week for lots of free opportunities)
- Be open to new and better ways of doing things
- Invest in your business (yes, this means you do need a quality website and online presence – don’t take shortcuts on this)
According to this infographic businesses that start small, know their market, focus on quality, listen to their customers and keep it simple and focused are the ones that succeed.
As you may realize, even though I work at Advice Interactive Group, I am a business owner. I started my small business in 2009 and it has definitely had its ups and downs. Each time I have a down I learn from it and it makes me not only a better business owner, but also I think a better employee.
For Employees (The Future Business Owners)
Did you notice, the four points above also applies to how to you do your work at someone else’s business? In reality, no matter whether you own your own business today or will tomorrow, the fact is that you MUST be willingly to go the extra mile for success. You’ll need dedication, determination and drive to get you there. Do you have what it takes?
I am going to close with two statements that I think we all of us need to think about and consider, not just as business owners but as people in general:
- Don’t think you know EVERYTHING (this is a biggie – people that think they know everything and can’t learn from others will never have success as an individual or as a business owner)
- Don’t start doing something because you think it will be an easy way for you to make money (this damages your brand, makes you look desperate, and people don’t know what to think about you or who to refer you to – I have seen many smart people fail in business because of this one mistake)
So, I have told you the WHY and the WHAT and now I am going to ask you the HOW?
How are you going to get started TODAY setting your business up for success tomorrow? Let’s discuss and help each other to grow.